Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A fishy BF3 server?


As you all probably know by now if you're a Battlefield 3 player, this week has a 2x experience points event in progress.  Being an avid player I've been taking advantage of EA's gift.  It's been rewarding until last night...

I'm going to show you something.  It will be familiar to anyone who browses server lists in Battlefield 3.


It's a detail page for a Battlefield 3 server I "used" to play on.

In fact, it was one of my favorites, until today...

You see, I'm picky about servers I put on my favorites list. 

They can't have too many cheaters (average is said to be 10 to 50% of players)

They have to be ranked, not disable equipment like rockets on an anti-aircraft and

the admin needs to be around to keep things under control.

All of the above applied on my previous visits to this server before last night. 

Yes, this is a bit of a rage rant but there's a good reason behind it.

I was thrown off this server (which has never happened on any server since I started playing BF3) because the admin appeared to be protecting an obvious cheat.  I had a !voteban initiated on me and it was 2 to 2 with 11 votes left when the admin just decided to kick me off. 

The vote was initiated by the cheat in the chat window with the following phrase...

"!voteban my playername (to shut his cock sucker mouth)"

Now I've never tried to suck on any part of a male chicken's anatomy, in fact I've never even had my face near one, I hear they've got nasty tempers, wouldn't want to get "pecked"

This is the kind of juvenile rage that is common in games like BF3 but with myself and others calling out this obvious cheat it seemed strange that he stayed and I got the boot.  Come to think of it, I've never seen a server notification in the chat window about a player kick due to a detected hack.  I've seen it on other servers but not this one.  The admins generally just  leave it to a chatroom vote.  I've dealt with cheats before on this server but this time was especially bad.

Of course there's another possibility...

You see, this server takes donations for its expenses and it's possible that such donations earn the donor a blind eye from the admin.  Ultimately it's the admin who makes the call on bans and it's reasonable for them to protect their revenue stream.  Reasonable, that is,  if you think extortion is a legitimate enterprise that is.

It appears EA does little if anything to police their ranked servers so long as they get their check.   You see EA not only distributes the game, they'll rent you a server to run it on too.    So if they're going to leave it up to the community then our only recourse is to call out the perpetrators of the crime so to speak.

In any case, I'd recommend staying away from this particular server and others like it unless you're the cheating type.  In that case, by all means aimbot, auto knife and instant kill to your heart's content.  Nobody will say a word so long as your cheat is undetectable or possibly make a donation to the admin.

After all, it's entirely reasonable for a player to have 34 kills and 0 deaths on a fully populated 64 player map right?

Money talks..

No comments: