Thursday, July 12, 2012

YouTube Confuses Me...(Updated)




YouTube confuses me....

I'm pretty new to actually taking it at all seriously and before a few months ago I primarily used it to share videos I took of my annual Christmas display with far flung family.  Then someone suggested I take my blog to the next step using YouTube and I reluctantly tried it out with thus far mixed results.

Over the past few months you may have noticed an evolution of sorts in each successive video.
For one thing, I've gotten over my physical shortcomings.  Even in the face of the cold steely subjectivity of my webcam.  In short, I can care less what you think of my appearance, I'm more interested in the content than my personal appeal.

However, I know that can be a problem since I either have to have outstanding production values or at least some attribute that's broadcast worthy.  Not that I take the medium that seriously,  I mean come on, YouTube's success was built on cat videos and amateur infomercials.

I have a face for radio and a voice that at times sounds like I've got a mouthful of cotton.  I know that, so no need to remind me of it.

Still, I do the best I can and try to be entertaining, even if I come off like a bad imitation of John C. Dvorak at times.  Still I've suffered the "get a life" commentary more than once.

You may have also noticed that comments on many of my videos are disabled.  Mostly because I get nothing but trolls and OCD sufferers delighted to correct every misspoken word or misplaced fact.

All this adds up to a very limited audience with success measured in single digit views. 
Even with my relative anonymity I've managed to run afoul of YouTube's copyright bots and faceless denials of revenue with no real recourse.  To date no videos have been pulled down but I've had some blocks in foreign countries, sorry Germany.

I've had one video in a series of videos on the same topic denied adsense revenue seemingly arbitrarily. 
I'm not looking for trouble but it seems that the inconsistent application of YouTube's policies makes it difficult to avoid it.  How can anyone possibly learn from their mistakes when the only notification you receive is a generic, " We think you did something wrong" email with no specifics? 

So it seems every upload is a roll of the dice.  Who will I offend? Will the humming of my PC's power supply somehow violate someone's copyright?  Perhaps the sound of thunder from a passing storm will trigger a copyright violation of the Door's Rider's on the storm!

Obviously I have two issues, interest and inconsistent application of the "rules" 
To go by YouTube rules I guess I'm only safe with the aforementioned cat videos so long as they don't purr in tune to anything with a copyright.

To be popular,  I have to have production values equivalent to at least a TWIT podcast.  Of course even some of their videos only get 50 views and they have a million dollar production facility not to mention staff.
I've looked at other YouTube videos similar in content to my own and seen no evidence of the heavy hand of YouTube's legal department that I've suffered.  It appears Monetization and content is unaffected in these cases.  That leaves me a bit confused.  I can only guess at my own sin.

I've seen videos with thousands if not millions of views that even their creators find less than stellar.  No accounting for taste I suppose.

So in the end, I'll keep trying new things and probably run afoul of a few more arbitrary YouTube rules in the process. 

If nothing else, perhaps my adventures can serve as a precedent as I navigate the minefield of popularity and legality in the YouTube metaverse.

Let's see what rules this video breaks, eh?


Huge Savings Click Here!

Update!


I've figured out how to make a video that can be monetized and doesn't trip me up wit YouTube's ContentID system...

An example is below...



No comments: