Saturday, June 9, 2012

BF3 channeling COD? Patches, Ultrabooks and more!




Hey guys,

It's the Midaged gamer report for 6-8-2012 and I just finished up an awesome BF3 session.

But before I go any further A big tip of the shades to Patrick Norton for donning his own specs in this week's TWICH pre-show.  He can do it because he's famous, me I can do it because I have self-image issues.

See what happens when you don't have a wife and kids Patrick?!  This could be you! 

Then again, no, probably not... :-)

Enough about me...

The first bit of news has to do with the Battlefield 3 patch.  It came down Monday night and judging from the slow download speeds a whole lot of people were anxious to get the 2GB download.  Luckily, or perhaps unluckily, I didn't try till Wednesday so speeds were better.

One sweet little surprise was revealed to me by a friend of mine who also plays the game.  It seems that the latest patch has fixed the joystick control issue when flying aircraft.  Previously you couldn't necessarily map all the buttons on a joystick controller which made flight more difficult and control setup irritating.

OF course the big reason for the patch is the soon to be released Close Quarters DLC pack.  Now that's
interesting if you're into deathmatch style FPS but I'm far more interested in the upcoming (Sept) release of Armored Kill.  I'm a gearhead so my passions tend to involve more metal than anything with a shoulder strap.

Also new this week is the Battlefield 3 Premium subscription.  Basically, for $50 you get all the DLC packs, access to play them 2 weeks early, plus some special weapons and premium member only 2x experience tournaments.  

I can't help but see this as a direct response to Call of Duty's Elite membership.  The terms and perks are virtually identical.  I don't know how well that will translate to Battlefield, however.  

I know I already have Karkand, not interested in close quarters which leaves one DLC pack I want,  Armored Kill and 2 I'm not sure about yet, Aftermath and Endgame.  For me it's cheaper by 5 bucks to just buy the DLC I want.

I don't see anything else attractive about it.  While playing tonight I did notice a few players with "Premium Member" under their splash page.  They died just the same only with more props I guess.
I'm really not interested in Close Quarters So I'll probably pass on the bundle.  I'm ok with just buying DLC I want. 

THe real question is with special weapons and "members only" gameplay is a premium membership going to unfairly tilt the odds toward EA's Premium member cash cows and is the game going to be worth playing by the a la carte' set?  

In an earlier post I questioned whether the Free to Play/Pay for upgrades model would work in a major title.  The shortcut kits have already had an effect on BF3 multiplayer.  If EA tries to milk the cash cow this way much more they run the risk of damaging their existing player base.  Time will tell.

I've included links to the BF3 premium and COD Elite websites so you can compare and contrast.


In another piece of EA news, It seems the reboot is in full swing with Need For Speed.  Need For Speed Most Wanted Limited Edition has been re-imagined by developer Criterion who also did the new version of Hot Pursuit and is available for pre-order for $49.99. 

Like the BF3 Limited Edition that gave early access to Karkand, Most Wanted Pre-orders get early access to cars and double speed points in your first 4 hours of play.  Considering the first 4 hours is generally wasted trying to figure out the game that's not much of a perk.  Still if you're interested check it out at the link.  I may pick it up if Amazon has a sale.


So this week's PCPER episode had a segment on some new ultrabooks with discrete Nvidia GPU's.  Specifically these were Keppler based mobile GPU's
There was also mention of a 680 Mobile GPU that Alienware was getting first.  Apparently ultrabooks are shaking off their netbook roots with ever more powerful and efficient Intel CPU's so Nvidia wants to get discrete GPU's into them to push gaming more firmly into the ultrabook space.

What was striking was a general consensus of disappointment in the podcast over the relatively small screen sizes and resolution of the ultrabooks.  I think that may be an unfair judgment considering the form factor.  If ultrabooks continue to evolve we may see the power of a desktop replacement notebook in this type of package in just a few years. 

Another consideration is that the ultrabook could become the portable replacement for the set top box and HTPC.  Imagine taking your entire home theater system with you when you travel.  You could have all the power of a full sized desktop connected via Thunderbolt  port on an accommodating hotel television. 

Just a thought.


In AMD news, they have officially dropped the monthly update cycle for their graphics drivers.  After the confusing round of 12.x drivers at the start of the year it's a welcome change.  After all it's a driver not a subscription, I don't need updates just for the sake of new ads during the install of a fresh HDMI driver.

Finally, there's rumor of retina displays on new macbooks?  Speculation says that next week's WWDC conference in  San Francisco will have information about new hi definition displays in the redesigned macbook.  If that means retina that may mean some trickle down of the technology in a few years to the PC market.  

Imagine BF3 on a Retina display!


One final note from my experiences this week in BF3 land...

I'd like to direct this at the vehicle hogs in BF3, you know who you are.  For one thing if we're playing on a ranked server don't expect that anyone cares about your points, assignments or otherwise.  We're all trying to improve our stats.  So if you're waiting for your best buddy to jump in the chopper gunners seat and I happen to get there first, just take off.  Chances are I've got a better chance of saving your sorry ass with me in that seat than your buddy so just suck it up and go. 

More than once I've seen what equates to a digital tantrum and a stream of obscenities in the chat window because someone else got in instead of your buddy.  Meanwhile your side is losing the battle and you're losing points.   I mean really, who the hell do you think you are?  It's called multiplayer for a reason.  You wanna cuddle up to your friends the whole game play co-op or join a clan and play on their servers.  Now unranked servers on the other hand, well, anything goes...

You know I couldn't let a week go by without at least one rant.

That's all for this week.

I'm out!



No comments: