Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Why Dudz Fryd?


After almost 5 years of writing for this blog it occurred to me that a question may have immediately formed when you got here.

That being, what's this "Dudz Fryd" stuff all about?   

The short answer is, it's my gamer tag.  One that I came up with over a decade ago when I first started getting into online gaming.

Life forced a bit of a hiatus on me sometime between DOOM and Battlefield 1942 so when I came back into the fold I was a bit rusty if not a complete noob.

The first real FPS I was exposed to was Wolfenstein Enemy Territory.  The free WW2 shooter loosely based on the Castle Wolfenstein franchise.  It was great fun but I spent a lot of time in spawn screens if you know what I mean.

Nonetheless I was hooked...

The longer I played the more I began to develop a unique gaming identity and I wanted to reflect that when I went online.

Thus DUDZ FRYD was born.

Since Enemy Territory was a WW2 shooter I wanted something that sounded kinda German but wouldn't be taken too seriously.  The tag is actually a play on words.  Read it closely and you'll see it's kind of a joke.  Although not everybody gets it so I'll clue you in.

I pronounce it: DUDS FRIED these days but the real intention was for other players to see it as: DUDES FRIED.  As in the phrase, "That dude's fried!"

I decided to stick with it after the entire chat window filled with LOL's when they saw my new tag.  

From Enemy Territory I moved on to Battlefield:1942, Battlefield 2, Call of Duty and so on logging into all of them as some variation of DUDZ FRYD.

I've continued to use the tag in every game I've played online since.  

So if you see DUDZ FRYD on a server chances are it's me. It's kind of a brand now and a way of trying to connect with other players.  It's why this blog exists and why I won't use any other tag.

So there's the short but simple explanation of why this blog has such a weird name.  

...and now you're in on the joke!


No comments: