Saturday, November 8, 2014

Windows 10 - A death knell for Games for Windows Live?



I've been trying out Windows 10 over the past month or so and of course before I worry about connecting to servers, adding users or any of that boring corporate stuff I try out my games.

So far I've found a lot to like about Windows 10.  It's pretty much Windows 7 on steroids with the coolest Start Menu ever.

I've had no issue with game clients like Valve's Steam or EA's Origin and older games like Grid, Battlefield 3 and others seem to run without issue.  At least until today.

I've had issues with Games for Windows Live (GFWL) before and while they're always a pain in the neck to deal with, this one could signal its death knell.

The game I was trying to install (emphasis on :"trying") was Bulletstorm.  I picked it up for $5 on a Steam sale but interestingly enough the game wouldn't install correctly in the Steam environment on a Windows 7 machine due to conflicts between GWFL and Steam.  Probably why it was so cheap...

Origin, however, has a slightly looser grip on game executables and as such GWFL can complete its 2 step install process.

Games for Windows Live usually gets bundled in the game install and other than a few clicks the process is largely automated.

Generally, GWFL comes in at the tail end of the install and after a few seconds the game launches.

At this point you enter the second phase of installation where the Games for Windows Live client will check to see if it needs an update and in some cases authenticate the game's product key if applicable.

If no update is needed you're done.  Just save your GWFL credentials and play on.  If, however, the GWFL client needs an update it will start in the game then either exit out to complete or prompt you to exit the game.  This is the part that fails on Steam no matter what OS you're running on.

It's the second part I never got to.  Instead I ended up with an error that stopped the game dead in its tracks.  Clean installs, updates and compatibility settings had no effect.  It appears that at least for now Games For Windows Live is a No Go for Windows 10.  A check of the GFWL support site found nothing about Windows 10 either.

I grabbed a video of my experiences below.  Watch as I take you through my discovery....


No comments: