Friday, October 11, 2013

Battlefield 4: More of the same

I probably could have ignored the lure of a free triple-A title (albeit in Beta) except for the urgings of a fellow gamer.  Battlefield 4 held as much interest for me as its predecessor's "Premium" offering. 
In other words, I can wait for a sale. 

But in the interest of staying current  with the latest PC gaming trends and having something new to hurl barbs at, I went ahead and downloaded the 5Gigabyte appetizer from Dice.  A supersized sampler platter designed to whet the appetite and hopefully stir the faithful into a buying frenzy after getting a taste.

After all the Origin updates my first exposure to Battlefield 4 came in the form of the redesigned Battlelog, Battlelog 2.0.   Nothing new to report here other than using a darker color palette and frequent crashing. 
At least it picked up my profile from Battlefield 3.  Well, except for not having any of my control or loadout settings saved. 

After searching for an active server it occurred to me that I was seeing way too many instances of 0/64  (aka: empty servers.)  It didn't seem to matter the time of day or day of the week either.  On average, out of 50 servers it seemed that 45 of them were always empty.  Not a good sign for a game that has a new engine and has been so heavily promoted for almost a year.

Undaunted, I set a goal.  I was determined to play the Beta long enough to advance one rank in the game.  A feat I achieved after cumulatively playing for 2 hours.  Of course that doesn't count the 3 hours spent finding a PC it would run on.  My 4 year old Windows 7 Dual core gaming laptop couldn't manage to do more than crash at the load screen.  My regular gaming rigs fared slightly better letting me actually play the game but not without  hard locks and long waits at the "Loading" screen.

I've included a video on this page that illustrates all of this by the way.



Once I'd finally navigated Dice's kludgy web interface and gotten into the game proper I found the normal annoyances with anything that's been stamped "Beta."  After all the only price I paid was a few hours of my life waiting for downloads and load screens right?

Let me cut to the quick.  The game is gorgeous but not as gorgeous or interesting as the cut scenes we were treated to in the promotional videos on YouTube.  It still suffers the same vulnerabilities to exploits and poor interface design as its predecessor.   It's utterly ridiculous that I have to launch a triple-A title from a web page and have to join a server before I can configure the most basic settings like screen resolution and player controls. 

This is the first major title to be exclusively 64 bit which means there could be issues with video drivers but performance should be better.  "Should be" is the operative phrase here because it's not.  BF4 is as I predicted it would be, DLC for BF3 both in looks and experience.  The new game engine makes crumbling skyscrapers a bit more exciting but visually it's not a great leap. 

I still had disappearing skylines in the background and disappearing textures here and there.  Server lag is still an issue even with a lightly loaded server and stat updates aren't always reflected on Battlelog 2.0.  I sacrificed 2000 points to that bug.

A lot of these annoyances can be written off as Beta code gremlins.  What's disturbing is that I've had the same issues in Battlefield 3 which is a much more mature platform after 2 years.

Still for the price I was at least able to evaluate the BF4 experience.  In short it's stacking up to be the next cash cow for EA.  It's a good looking game but not revolutionary and the same issues that existed in BF3 have followed its successor.

In short, I'll wait for a sale if for no other reason than to not be one of those people who pick up the pre-order only to get screwed over by a flood of DLC and upgrade packs that invalidate the price premium.

Hey, at least you'll get cool dog tags!




No comments: