Saturday, October 12, 2013

Battlefield 4 and Borderlands 2 DLC updates

Looking for a little change of pace from blasting the same bad guys for the 10th time in Borderlands 2 I've recently ventured into the world of Betas and DLC.

The latest installments come from Gearbox and DICE.

Let's get started with the DLC...

Below is a few videos of my latest purchase.  DLC for Borderlands 2 called Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep.

Controversy about the character aside (why is beyond me) I love Tiny Tina.  Nowhere in the game is there a more entertaining and irreverent citizen of Pandora.  That an entire DLC pack was built around her lovable madness made this a purchase that was going to happen, Steam sale or not.  BTW, it wasn't on sale but considering it's the largest map upgrade from any DLC pack for the game it's well worth the $9.99






Assault on Dragon's Keep is almost a guilty pleasure so to balance out my gaming diet it was time to check out the latest installment from Dice.  

Yes, it's Battlefield 4 (Beta) and so far I've spent about 4 hours with the game.  It is a Beta so bugs and slow load times are to be expected.  It's better looking than its predecessor but not by much.  Game modes are similar to BF3 with Conquest, Obliteration (similar to Rush but with bombs,) and Domination (a deathmatch variant) as well as variants on traditional game modes.  Only Conquest, Obliteration and Domination were available when I played the Beta.

I've already written an article about my experiences with BF4 previously (find it here) so I won't rehash it here.  Suffice it to say the game is very similar to BF3 with a few tweaks.  Unfortunately it's still hobbled by the insistence of DICE to use the kludgy web based Battlelog 2.0 front end.   

If you're a fan of the Battlefield series you'll find BF4 to be very familiar but if you were hoping that this latest version would finally correct the flaws of its predecessor you're likely to be disappointed.  I've put together a video below that samples gameplay and gives you a look at the new Frostbite 3.0 engine in action.


No comments: