Sunday, October 2, 2011

Uber Gamer Gear

I'm a gamer...

I am not, however, the gamer you see in the goofy Gamefly commercials proudly proclaiming, that I couldn't possibly call myself a gamer if I didn't subscribe to their service while playing Gears of War 3 on their 60 inch plasma.

For some, gaming is a lifestyle (kind of like trekkers) but for most it's merely a recreation. It'd be nice if I could make s living at it but I'm fairly certain that having achieved that end, I'd end up eventually hating it and take up birdwatching or something. I mean, how many times can you play Counterstrike

Source before your eyes cross and you start mumbling incoherently about frag grenades at family functions.

I've seen a few televised professional gaming competitions as well as at least two reality shows based on gaming. They're interesting to watch but one thing becomes very clear, these people take this stuff WAAAAY too seriously.

Which brings me to the point of this post...

I just did a quick search for a USB steering wheel for a PC to see what came up. I've used a few of these over the years and found it a far better experience if I stuck with a brand that had a gaming pedigree (if there is such a thing) such as Logitech, Saitek, Microsoft or Thrustmaster. Prices range from $35 to well over $400 for these devices depending on the features and build quality. 

You'll find a far larger selection at the high-end of the price scale by the way. 

Hmmm, $400 for a game controller that only works for driving games; seems reasonable if you're training for you F1 racing career...

Ok, let's say all my friends live far away or are known to me only through social media. So if I want more in-game communication than any chat window could ever afford, I guess I need a gaming headset. Ok let's go look again.

Hmmm, same story. We start around$25 and go as high as $350. Well I guess any price is worth paying to ensure my far-flung companions can hear an accurate reproduction of my sinus infection...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against having better quality stuff. On the contrary, I've had some truly awful hardware over the years and learned the value of better quality. But $350 for a headset? Just to game?

It makes sense if you're a podcaster but if you're just looking for bragging rights you're playing the fool. Don't believe the fluff pieces that pass for reviews these days either. I guarantee a $350 headset won't serve you any better than $100 model if you're just enjoying a few rounds of Battlefield 3.

Ooh, I take it all back! I just found an X Rocker gaming chair at WalMart that looks like a great deal! at $150 Except it's kind low to the floor and my leyboard would end up somewhere around nose level.

My nose doesn't do FPS very well...

The moral is that practicality should always trump vanity. Get the best you can afford at whatever level but don't get in over your head. After all it's just a game.

No comments: