Thursday, February 17, 2011

Co-Op gameplay and video game promotion

I'm sick of it...

I've written (and said) before that I enjoy cooperative game play in PC games.  RPG's like Dungeon Siege and FPS's like Call of Duty have had support for cooperative multiplayer game play modes for years.  So why does it seem like most game developers don't include it?  I know Blizzard's made billions with World of Warcraft but the model has been copied to death.  (If you haven't guessed, I don't like it or play it)

Co-op does not mean joining up with your friends online to go against other players online either.  That's just multiplayer, not co-op.  Yes, real people should be more interesting to play against than AI but most of the time they're not.  You get the Rambo types that think they're the next "Fatal1ty", players in "clans" that take themselves way too seriously and noobs who are more "nooby" than me.  Any or all of which make me regret even bothering with the game in the first place.

I guess I'm the type of gamer that likes his gaming to be more like playing a part in a movie than thrashing around in a mosh pit.  I understand that there's a place for MMO-whatever games but it's not for me.  I've played some truly exemplary titles that offered incredible single player game play and good multiplayer but had NO cooperative mode.  If you already have a good AI system how hard is it to just allow your buddy to go through a campaign mission with you??!  It can't be that hard because Battlefield 2 had no co-op till someone figured out how to join a single player game over a LAN.

You can't assume that because one game follows the formula of another that it will have the same options even if it's from the same developer either.  Call of Duty:Black Ops is a good example of this.  You only get cooperative game play in a tacked on zombie mode.  TreyArch was the developer and also did Call of Duty: World at War two years earlier.  World at war had zombie AND campaign co-op modes so what happened with Black Ops?!  Was it so hard to put a co-op campaign mode in?  Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 developed by Infinty Ward had an excellent co-op mode that paralleled the single player campaign and received widespread acclaim.  It's still a favorite of mine.

Then you get to the "Mystery Games"
Take the new game BREACH for example.  This is your run of the mill Call of Duty clone with a neat twist on destructible objects.  So why did I have to spend 30 minutes trolling the Internet to find out if it had a Co-Op mode or not???! BTW, it doesn't have co-op OR single player.

So LET ME KNOW THAT UP FRONT! I don't like this bait and switch.  It's a sorry business model that relies on half truths and misdirection.  You wouldn't buy a car without knowing what features it had or canned goods without labels so what makes it OK to hide specifics about a game that's going to cost $20 to $60.

I have a solution; Either put the information on your website or release a demo like the old days of shareware titles.  Money's harder to come by these days and I can't be the only one with a short fuse for marketing trickery.

No comments: