Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Milestones




In case you haven't been counting we passed the 300th article on this blog on March 31st.  That may seem like a relatively insignificant number but when you consider that I basically do this for free it gains a bit of weight.

I've also passed the 200 video mark since I relaunched the YouTube channel that accompanies this blog.  Also a small number but considering I had to completely blow up the old channel in late October it's quite a lot of content in 6 months.

I began this exercise ( some would say in futility) with a measure of trepidation as at the time I had the naive belief that I would suddenly be laid bare to the steely eyes of a cruel world.

As it is I've barely crested 50K views in 4 years which sounds like a lot till you realize that the average IGN article will do that in an hour.

It's true, indifference is far more cruel than criticism.

There have been days when I'd have been happy to have a comment section full of trolls.  At least i'd feel like someone was paying attention.

Maybe someday, somebody, will discover my meanderings on the topic and open my ruminations up to a wider world.  

At least that was my equally naive hope when I spent 18 months doing the "Midaged Gamer report" every week.  I thought it might have been the springboard to bigger and better things.

Dare to dream...

Live and learn.  It was a valuable experience but I'd be lying if I told you its failure didn't threaten to let this blog languish into nothingness like so many before it.  I learned my lesson. 

Gamers don't like to read long form news posts.

All is not graves and storm clouds, however.  This blog was my first public writing exercise and it led to dozens of published articles on then legitimate news sites like Technorati and Kupeesh.  

Not exactly fame and fortune but at least I've been published.

So why continue?

I do it because I still feel like I need to.  There's still too much hype and too much BS in gaming and somebody needs to call it out even if nobody wants to listen.

Gaming is at least as important as any other entertainment medium with the industry now rivaling Movies and TV in sheer revenue.  

It's a legitimate entertainment medium with players both revered and reviled.  It's also rockstar, sport and lifestyle. It's a cultural force that even the most stoic Wall Street suit acknowledges.  

It's the best of creativity and the worst of corporate greed and it's worth talking about.

And I will, trust me....




No comments: