Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fallout: New Vegas Part 2 and I'm done!

That's freaking it!

I now have 20 hours (according to the steam counter) into this game and I'm through with it.

I've already mentioned the shortfalls of Fallout:New Vegas in my first post.  Now I've finally gotten back to why I don't care for Bethesda or Obsidian game titles.  Frankly, they're unfinished, buggy and annoying to the point of distraction.

I  know the whole idea is that I'm supposed to traipse around a barren wasteland for months (real time) just to get 2% further in the game.  I know I'm supposed to be immersed in the game environment with all the gloomy visuals, sound effects and repetitive dialog. 

Sorry, I'm not buying it and frankly it's tedious not immersive.  Hence my foray into the game console commands "~ key" and "tgm" because I'm sick of being killed by over sized bees and morons with tire irons.

This game is basically Fallout 3 DLC with absolutely zero improvement in the game engine.  All the crashing, bugs, and sloppy coding make this thing tax my gaming rig more than Crysis could ever dream of doing.  And the worst part?  Even on max settings the game doesn't look that good!  I haven't found anything I'd want a screenshot of in this game.  So what's the excuse?

Did it really take 3 years from the release of Fallout 3 to produce a new map rotation?  Going into some of the "vault" sequences show an obvious reuse of maps and textures from Fallout 3.  That's a cop out. 

Here's the part where I've sworn off the Fallout series, however.  See I have a few hours invested in the game hoping it would get better if I just ran around enough and did some stuff no matter how boring.  So I've viciously killed whole families of wiseguys in bad suits.  Hacked morons dressed like refugees from and 80's punk rock band and chatted up people I could care less about just trying to get another map marker. 

The combat model is a joke and by the time you figure out the camera angles you're usually dead.  If you happen to have an area of affect weapon you have some saving grace provided any companions along with you aren't too close and get in the way.  Then you get to waste supplies healing them up because they got between the baddy and your flamer.  Vats is useless with area of affect weapons by the way.  I guess that makes sense, it's useless 90% of the time anyway.

So what happens.  I continue my exploration with mild interest in my quests which are almost impossible to follow using the "map" and suddenly the game starts hiccuping.  I've got a system monitor running and nothing on my rig is being overtaxed.  Temps are in line and CPU is well below any loaded thresholds so why does the game suddenly stop, shudder, then start again?  Doesn't matter what graphics settings I choose it's always the same.  Then it will just randomly crash to the desktop.

The final straw? 

Gone...

All my saved games, just gone....

I checked the forums, Apparently a problem with the steam cloud or some such nonsense.  All that work and all I'm left with is a saved game from when I first started the game.

I foolishly ended up going into the DLC:Honest Hearts not knowing that this single action would wipe out everything I'd done up to that point.  No warning, no recovery, no recourse.....NO More!
Gee, would have been nice to know that I was actually going into the DLC before I made the leap.  I guess I'm just not "in sync" with how this game works after 20 hours.

That's it, I'm through wasting time on a rehash of an old game with virtually no improvement. 

Bethesda, I'm done with you even at a discount price point.  Apparently the game model is to waste as much of the gamers time as possible then throw an occasional carrot and brand it "immersion" 
Unfortunately the only thing I'm immersed in is anger and embarrassment for being suckered into once again into a flawed game model.

It's titles like this that are killing PC gaming.  Thanks Bethesda for giving more ammunition to the "PC gaming sucks" crowd.

No comments: