We're coming to the close of the Holiday season and I'm sure a lot of you out there got some new goodies for your game library this year. So how appropriate that the last article of 2016 concerns managing those 100's of gigabytes of install files from all those hot triple-A titles you found under the tree.
Seems Origin and Ubisoft are the only ones with any good deals these days but Steam still has one thing over them.
Backing up and Restoring your game install files....
Origin has been around for the better part of a decade and they still make reinstalling games a slow and painful process.
That is, unless you know the trick....
The bullet point version is this.
- Locate your Origin game install folder ( usually \\programfiles (x86)\Electronic Arts\ * game folder *)
- Copy the entire game folder to another place you can get to later.
- Boot up Origin on the rig you want to install the game on
- Check the Origin game install folder in that location ( they can be different )
- Start the regular Game download process
- After a few minutes pause the download
- Copy your saved game install folder over the folder Origin just made in the install directory
- Un-Pause the download process
- Install will finish without trying to download the whole game.
Of course there are nuances to the process but that's the basics. Below I've made a video showing you how to do it and even how to deal with a few hiccups along the way.
Happy New Year!